Historic Homes in Arlington Virginia
The Harry W. Gray House is a historic home located in Arlington, Virginia. It was built in 1881, and is two-story, three bay, “L”-shaped brick free-standing rowhouse dwelling in the Italianate style. It has a standing seam metal shed roof and full-width one-story front porch. It was built by Harry W. Gray (c.1851-1913), a former slave on General Robert E. Lee‘s Arlington House estate. It is a rare example of the brick rowhouse in Arlington County.
George Crossman House is an historic home located in the East Falls Church section of Arlington, Virginia. It was built in 1892 by George Grant Crossman for his new bride Nellie Dodge of Lewinsville, VA. George Crossman was the son of Isaac Crossman who played an important role in developing the city of Falls Church. The house was once part of a 60-acre (24 ha) dairy farm in what was then rural Northern Virginia. The Crossman Farm’s dairy products was sold to local neighbors as well as to the Maryland and Virginia Milk Producers Association. The Crossman’s son William C. helped operate the farm and later assumed ownership and management of the house and dairy operation following the death of his parents. The Crossman Dairy was the last dairy farm in Arlington County. The house was originally located in the section of Falls Church that broke off in 1936 to become the East Falls Church section of Arlington County. The dairy farm was closed by 1950 and the land was sold in 1954 and divided. Today, Tuckahoe Elementary School and Bishop O’Connell High School stand on land that was once part of the Crossman Dairy Farm.
“Benvenue” was part of the 3402 acre “Woodberry” estate granted by Lord Fairfax in 1724 to George Turberville. Charles Lee Corbin Turberville was deeded 400 acres in 1796, which included 198 acres that became known as “Benvenue” when acquired by Capt. Thomas ap Catesby Jones, USN, in 1830. The sandstone house reportedly was named after the Louisiana plantation where Jones recovered from wounds received in defending New Orleans on 14 Dec. 1814. During the Civil War the Army of the Potomac’s Fourth Corps occupied the surrounding area. “Benvenue” served as a field hospital from Oct. 1861 to Mar. 1862. Later the spelling was changed to “Bienvenue”, French for “welcome”.
Salona, in McLean, Virginia, is a parcel of land with frontage on Dolley Madison Boulevard, Buchanan Street and Kurtz Road. The Salona homestead and grounds comprise 7.8 acres (3.2 ha) within the 52.4-acre (21.2 ha) site, and is protected in perpetuity by a 1971 easement to the Fairfax Board of Supervisors. The easement allows for preservation and interpretation of natural and cultural resources on the property. The property owners, the DuVal family, retain the approximately 3 acres (1.2 ha) remaining of the 52.4-acre (21.2 ha) site. Salona was built in 1805 as the home of Henry “Light Horse Harry” Lee, the Revolutionary War hero; Dolley Madison fled to it in 1814 when British troops were burning the White House; and, during the Civil War, Salona served as a part of the headquarters for the Union Army.
The Cherry Hill Farmhouse is a house museum in Falls Church, Virginia, United States. Built in 1845 in a Greek Revival architecturestyle, it belonged to wealthy farmer families until 1945, and in 1956 it became property of the City of Falls Church, which transformed it into a museum, as a historical building. Today, the Cherry Hill Farmhouse, along with other five such constructions in Falls Church City, is part of the National Register of Historic Places, as an important testimony of 19th century Victorian buildings in the area. The surrounding area is a park managed by the City of Falls Church.